As a leader in business, you likely already know the importance of cyber security, including cyber-attack prevention and detection. For most companies, whether they realize it or not, their livelihood depends on lock-tight network security.
Detecting a security breach quickly is key
When it comes to mitigating risks and controlling costs, the faster your organization can detect a security breach, the better off you’ll be. Studies show that in the U.S., companies take over 200 days to detect a data breach.
The truth is as some of the most notorious breaches show us, even with robust cyber security in place, breaches can still happen. And when they do, research, like the 2018 Cost of a Data Breach Study by Ponemon indicates the longer it takes for a company to notice a breach, the more it will cost them, and the numbers are staggering.
How much does a data breach typically cost?
The Ponemon study also shows that the worldwide average price tag for a data breach continues to rise, topping $3.8 million. If you want to think in terms of cost per record stolen, that averages just under $150 for each record containing sensitive or confidential info. Whether you want to protect the network security interests of a small, medium, or large company, for most, that price tag is far too high.
A breach detected and contained in the U.S. costs more than $5.8 million on average. But the longer it takes to contain the breach, the higher the cost, as well. U.S. network security breaches that took longer to contain rose in cost to $8.83 million, according to the study.
And these statistics don’t reflect the cost to a small business of a ransomware attack, which encrypts all data and completely locks a company’s network, effectively shutting down all IT at a business. A public statement by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission confirmed that “ransomware has emerged as a very serious threat to SMBs. More troubling still, there is reason to believe that many SMBs may not be taking cybersecurity as seriously as they should.” As cited by CSO, SMBs face far greater threats because most don’t stay abreast or invest in the necessary security platforms that can protect them. 60% of SMBs who were victims did not recover and shut down within 6 months.
How Most Companies Detect a Security Breach
The majority of security breaches are discovered by someone outside the company. Other studies have shown that 53% of security breaches were found by a source outside the company, most commonly law enforcement after they become aware of stolen information being available. But detecting a breach internally, and fast, requires having the know-how and the right tools to do so.
Cyber security companies, like Locknet, can protect your network from attack
Of course, ideally breach detection is not needed if the breach is prevented in the first place through robust security defenses. Most companies lack the specialized IT security skill set necessary to do this internally, so they are turning to cyber security companies who not only understand the risks of network vulnerabilities, but can anticipate emerging threats, identify those that have already occurred, and mitigate them before they become a larger problem. That’s where Locknet® Managed IT comes in.
Locknet also has the security tools to help protect your business from cyber attacks plus more
At Locknet®, we have a wide range of IT technologies that can help you maintain network security, prevent cyber breaches, and detect breaches quickly. All are designed to keep your business running smoothly and efficiently. They include:
- Blockade™ – When you connect your network to the internet, it is visible to hackers worldwide. Blockade is a fully managed service, run by our team of dedicated Security Engineers, which protects the “front door” of your network. Locknet ensures any potential access points such as your internet connection, remote employee connections and wireless infrastructure are implemented securely, monitored properly and kept current. Blockade even includes all hardware needed on site, so there is no capital expenditure needed to get started.
- Vulnerability Management - Vulnerability Management is a tactical security risk mitigation process that allows organizations to have a proactive approach to keep their systems secure and free from vulnerabilities through on-going screening, tracking, reporting and communication.
- Netxuspro™ Patching & Monitoring – Timely execution of software updates and security patches is one of the most important fundamental steps to defending your data. However, if it’s not done consistently or correctly, you are left vulnerable to known threats. With Netxuspro, Locknet takes care of necessary tasks like software patches and security updates of Microsoft and third party applications on servers and workstations, so your IT staff can focus on achieving your business goals. In addition to patch management, Netxuspro also includes 24/7 alerting, as well as scripting, reporting and support as needed.
- Reinforce™ Backup, Recovery & Disaster Recovery Solutions – While backups may not seem relevant for a security discussion, in the event of a worse-case scenario with ransomware, where all defenses have already failed, the only remaining option is to restore from a backup. And when that happens, it is critical that there is an effective backup to restore from. Locknet’s Reinforce offers options for fully managed local and off-site storage, redundant cloud backup and disaster recover solutions to fit the needs of your business. Reinforce is fully encrypted for security and includes a dedicated, on premise, Locknet managed Reinforce backup appliance and monthly reporting that ensures that your backup sets have been running smoothly and successfully.
- Keysuite™ Integrated, Comprehensive IT Solution – Keysuite is a comprehensive IT program that proactively manages networks so clients know they are fully utilizing their technology and they are doing so securely. Keysuite combines key components from Locknet’s arsenal of leading edge managed security services and products, partnered together with inclusive highly skilled and credentialed Engineers and Network Administrators in our state-of-the-art support center for day-to-day network management. Keysuite can be tailored to unique business needs and sizes of business. Keysuite clients benefit from strategic business reviews, consultative technology budget discussions, IT roadmaps and strategic planning. Since Locknet handles everything in house, we are able to completely control the client experience and deliver optimal results.
- Security Information & Event Management (SIEM) – SIEM is like a smoke detector for your network’s security. By gathering and weeding through extreme volumes of network data, SIEM’s forensics can quickly interpret the information to identify anomalies and security threats, as well as other issues, so defensive actions can be taken quickly. SIEM logs are collected and encrypted for long term storage and reporting which helps to address many compliance reporting requirements in a holistic, high level approach for regulated businesses.
- Dark Web Monitoring – Digital Credentials such as usernames and passwords connect you and your employees to critical business applications, as well as online services. Locknet goes into the Dark Web to identify, analyze and proactively monitor for your organization’s compromised or stolen employee credentials. We’ll even alert you so you can take action quickly to change your credentials before they are used to compromise your network and your data.
- Advanced Email Security – Email continues to be the single most common vector for attackers to use to get into your network. Locknet offers three affordable yet comprehensive solutions to include spam filtering, virus and malware protection, anti-phishing and sandboxing technology.
- Security Education and Awareness Training – Employees are the weakest link in your IT security and the bad guys go after them because all too often your employees are the easiest to trick. Educating your employees is critical in creating a “human firewall” and making them aware will help them to recognize risky situations and act accordingly. Locknet’s Security Education and Awareness Training will help to keep them on their toes!
Don’t know what IT technologies or support you need? We’re here to help.
At Locknet, our team is dedicated to keeping your network safe. The threat of cyber-attacks and data breaches is real, and having the right network security company on your side is key to ensuring your interests are secure. Whether you’re looking for managed IT security services, technology assessments, technology solutions or a full-service, single solution for your IT needs, we’re here for you.
Call us at 844-365-4968 or email us at email@example.com for more information about how our experts can support your business needs and help you protect your business from cyber-attack and data breaches. As a full-service managed IT company and cyber security company, we’re committed to keeping one simple, but vitally important promise: Your Network. Safe.
Cyber Attacks on Business are Increasing with COVID-19 May 06, 2020 In "Cyber Security" "Cybercrime" "Security Tips" "Remote Workforce" ,
Protecting Your Business from Coronavirus Online Scams April 29, 2020 In "Cyber Security" "Ransomware" "Vulnerability Management" "Security Tips" ,
Cyber Resilience in a Remote Working World April 20, 2020 In "Cyber Security" "Cybercrime" "Vulnerability Management" "Security Tips" "Remote Workforce" ,